Tuesday, December 19, 2017

~Review: Meet Cute: Some People Are Destined to Meet~


Hardcover224 pages
Expected publication: January 2nd 2018 by HMH Books for Young Readers

by 


My thoughts and review

Meet Cute is an anthology of stories by some wonderful authors about how random strangers meet each other under unusual circumstances.  We, the reader, figure out or hope that things work out between these characters.  This book did not live up to my expectations.  With the wonderful authors, I expected more.  It wasn't a horrible book but it wasn't great.  Most of the stories were good, solid writing.  I am going to break down the book by stories to give my opinion.

Siege Etiquette by Katie Cotugno - My favorite story in the book!  Hailey, the popular girl and Wolf, the outcast get stuck together during a house party.  Will romance be in the air? I need more!

Print Shop by Nina Lacour - Evie gets a job at an old print shop.  One of her jobs is bringing the shop into the 21st century through social media.  When an order is screwed up, will Evie go to all lengths to make everything right for the cute girl she has met?

Hourglass by Ibi Zoboi - A cute short story about finding out who your real friends are and maybe finding Mr. Right when you least expect it.

Click by Katharine McGee - In the world of Internet dating, Click is a new app using your social media and search history to bring people together.  When Alexa meets her Click date Raden, she is sure their has been a mix up.  And she may be right!

The Intern by Sara Shepard - Good read!  Clara is a new intern at her father's record label.  When she is assigned to entertain the next hot recoding star for the day, she may get more than she has bargained for.

Somewhere That's Green by Meredith Russo - Great story with a great message.  You can't always judge a book by it's cover.  

The Way We Love Here by Dhonielle Clayton - I was enjoying the book up until this point.  This story was awful.  I could not even finish it.  Not my thing!

Oomph by Emery Lord - Cass is stranded in the airport on her way home from college.  She is dreading waiting it out until she meet a cute girl to occupy her time.

The Dictionary of You and Me by Jennifer L. Armentrout - A librarian has been trying to get a customer to return a book for months.  When he final does, she is in for a big surprise.  I liked this story but did not love it.  I expected something bigger from Jennifer.

The Unlikely Likelihood of Falling in Love by Jocelyn Davies - She sees a cute boy on the subway almost every day so what do we do?  We use this an an experiment in our AP Statistics class.

259 Million Miles by Kass Morgan - On a job interview for a Mars missionPhillip meets Blythe. After having a bad break up she may just give him the push he needs to start dating again.

Something Real by Julie Murphy - When two girls go on television to compete for a date with a hot young singer, they may both end up dumping him.

Say Everything by Huntley Fitzpatrick - The preppy, rich boy has the hots for the poor dinner waitress but there is a twist to their story.  I love everything Huntley writes!!

The Department of Dead Love by Nicola Yoon - I loved her last book.  This story, not so much.  Confusing and could not get through it. Sorry Nicola!

This is a solid book if you like anthologies.  I would probably not recommend it to my friends.  The only story that was a solid 5 and worth reading was Siege Etiquette by Cotugno.  

I want to thank Netgally and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's Book Group for giving me a copy of this book for review.  I receive no monetary reimbursement for my reviews.  All thoughts and reviews are my own.




No comments:

Post a Comment